Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sociology

Right now I'm working on a seminar presentation for my sociology class about gender. One of the topics that I have to discuss and lead a discussion in is hegemonic masculinity. Hegemonic masculinity refers to the ideal of masculinity that our society upholds and promotes. While the majority of men cannot and do not fit into this ideal, they try to, because the closer you are to this ideal, the more power you have over other men and women.

This video is really well done and exemplifies how this hegemonic masculinity manifests itself in violence, which is often an acceptable expression of masculine power. Time constraints don't allow me to show this video, but I thought it was really good, so I wanted to share it with someone.

This one shows how mass media indoctrinates men and women from an early age about hegemonic masculinity so that it becomes normalized. Disney is evil!!!! (Okay, it's not all bad... I love the Lion King).

No comments:

Post a Comment