Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Hangover Blues

Today I'm suffering from anxiety brought on by a combination the previous night's binge drinking and today's clothes shopping. Sometimes after I drink I get really sad the next day. One of my roommates told me that she sometimes feels this way as well, but usually when I tell people about my hangover blues they don't quite understand, having not experienced this. On the other hand, I rarely suffer from hangover symptoms that manifest physically, such as vomiting and headaches (I attribute this to drinking at least a bottle of water before bed). "Lucky" is what some of my pukier friends may say. The hangover blues isn't any better though.

Apparently, if someone drinks a lot of alcohol, and often, it is likely that they will experience depressive or anxious episodes frequently after drinking (Shukit, 1996, 81). Why? Because alcohol inhibits the body's production of glutamine, a stimulant which counters the depressive qualities of alcohol. The body has to work overtime during your sleep to replenish glutamine as your blood alcohol level drops. This in turn stimulates the brain, and while you may feel as if you got the best sleep of life after a night of drinking, in fact, you don't get the best kind of sleep your body needs to heal. This leads to fatigue, shakiness, and possibly even anxiety the next day.

Last night I dreamed that I weighed myself and I weighed about 30 pounds more than I weigh now. This is where it all started. And it got progressively worse. My girlfriends and I decided to go shopping. I decided that I was too fat for anything. I fucking hate the mirrors in Winners, they always make me feel fat. I almost cried in the ladies dressing room while my friends, one of which has a model-like body, tried on 12 different items each. I walked away with an oversized shirt with long sleeves which covers up any semblance of curvature, lumps, fat, and bulge exceptionally. More on this body-hate later though, I have a lot to say on this topic and it deserves it's own separate discussion. In the meantime, I'm going to watch Home Improvement and drink apple juice, because both will help my hangover blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment