Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Makeup

People always (sometimes) ask me how I learned to do my makeup. Compared to the average person, I have skills but not compared to the girls at Smokin' Makeup. Back in the day, when I was about 15, Live Journal was a pretty big deal among my friends and I. This was before MySpace and Facebook and the recent surge in blogs (even in 2003 people thought that everyone cared about their thoughts, feelings and actions. Even in 2009, no one cares). When I wasn't complaining about how miserable my life was on LiveJournal, I used the website to help me be not miserable. The plan was to live vicariously though internet punk rock chicks and emulate them in any way possible. For me, makeup was a tool that made me feel confident, made me stand out, and had the potential of making me part of an elite group of bad, dirty kids. If I won the lottery, one of the first things I would do (apart from buying a Golf) is raid the MAC store for all it's goodies.
I guess my point is that if you want to be good at something, get inspired and practice. Don't get discouraged. And if learning to do your makeup well is on your priority list, please check out the book that changed everything for me, Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin (rest in peace).

No comments:

Post a Comment